July 25, 2011

How Do You Spell Relief?

Relief finally came for me on Saturday morning when it was time to pick Ally up from diabetes camp. 


It had been a very long week for me.  If you read any of my posts from last week, you know that I had a hard time sending her to camp for a whole week.  It was a very long week of not talking to my girl.  It was a lot of worrying and wondering...is she ok?...what is her blood sugar?...is she having fun?...is she missing us?...is she scared (of the storm)?  It was really hard to go that long without hearing anything.

I learned that the counselors offered all of the girls a chance to call home on Wednesday night.  She decided not to because "I thought that it would make me miss you even more."  Awwww! 

She loved every minute of camp (well, except for maybe the bat in the bathroom and the heat)!  I knew that it would be so good for her to be in a place where having diabetes did not make her the exception. 

Denise wrote about picking her daughter up from camp on Saturday too.  And I think I could have written that exact post!  I felt like I was picking up a different child than I had dropped off just 6 days earlier.  She seemed so sure of herself, so comfortable among a group of people that she did not know just a week ago!  She told me that she learned to insert her own infusion set.  (This is the girl who had to be held down for shots, had anxiety attacks over every site change until we started using numbing cream and generally hates needles!)  I was so proud of her! 

Her sisters were so happy to see her!  And I think she actually missed them too.  (Don't worry, by about noon they were already back to normal...arguing about everything!)


When I tucked her in to bed last night, she said, "It sure is good to be home.  I missed the air conditioning!"  (Hey, what about me?  Did you miss me too?)

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Yay! So wonderful to hear she had a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet girl! So glad she enjoyed camp...despite the bat in the bathroom (that would have freaked me out a bit too)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad she had a good week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to send Justin to camp, but ours is like 6 or 7 hours away.

    I am glad she had a good time.

    ReplyDelete

Hugs and Kisses from...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...