September 20, 2010

Tag...I'm It!

Me..Me...Meeeeee!

Hallie at The Princess and the Pump tagged me! So now it's my turn to do the Diabetes MeMe!


This meme has been around the block!  Sugar Momma at The Sugar Kids was tagged by Heidi at D- Tales who was tagged by Tracy at The Super Hero & The Princess...who was tagged by Wendy at Candy Hearts...who was tagged by Meri at Our Diabetic Life...who was tagged by Laura at Houston, We Have a Problem…who was tagged by My Diabetic Child…who was tagged by Jen at I am Your Pancreas…who was tagged by Reyna at Beta Buddies…who was tagged by Penny at A Sweet Grace...who accepted the meme challenge from Six Until Me.


What Type of Diabetes Do You Have?
Actually, I am a parent of a child with diabetes.  My 7 year old daughter, Ally, has Type 1 diabetes.


When Were You Diagnosed?
Ally was diagnosed February 10, 2009....the day I became a pancreas of sorts.


What's Your Current Blood Sugar?
She's at school now, so I am wondering the same thing!  Her BG this morning was 153.  Little higher than I'd like...may need to adjust some basals.

What Kind of Meter Do You Use?
One Touch UltraLink - one at home and one at school - mostly because this communicates wirelessly to her MiniMed insulin pump.  We also have a couple of One Touch minis - in my purse, her backpack, Grandma's house.


How many times per day do you check your blood sugar?
Used to be 10-12, but since she recently started on a CGM, its more like 8-10.


What is a "HIGH" number for you?
Technically, if she is above 130 she is "high" and we will correct it with insulin.  However, I don't get myself worked into a tizzy unless she is in the high 200's.


What do you consider "LOW"?
Less than 70.  If it's bedtime, we treat for anything less than 100.


What is your favorite low blood sugar reaction treater?
4 oz. Juicy Juice, ReliOn glucose tablets (raspberry or fruit punch flavored please!), Smarties


Describe your dream endo:
My dream endo knows Ally.  He/She knows all of the newest research and technology and can recommend the best management plan for Ally.  He/She wants Ally to have THE BEST life possible...just as much as we do.

This is not to say that I do not really like our endo, because I do!


Who's on your support team?
First off...it's really not MY support team.  You see, my husband is just as much a pancreas as I am!  I do write this blog and therefore, I do take most of the credit.  However, he works just as hard as I do to keep Ally safe and healthy.

OUR support team includes many people.  All the members of our family play important positions on our team.  Some may be the pitchers, the catchers, the basemen and some may be the fielders....but we love them and need them all the same!

We also have so many friends who support us. 

And for me personally, the friends whom I have met through the diabetes online community have made all the difference for me....the difference between sane and insane :)


Do you think there will be a cure in your lifetime?
I HOPE so!  I keep thinking about what Hallie said, that even if it is not in our lifetime, for our children...I still hope for a cure...no one should have to live with diabetes.  I think that a real CURE is a working pancreas (see below).  But, if there are some steps along the way from here to a cure that make Ally's life easier and healthier in the long run, I'm all for that too.


What is a 'CURE' to you?
A cure would mean that:
Ally would not have to check her blood sugar 8-10 times a day. 
Ally would not have to measure, weigh and count carbs for everything that goes into her mouth.
Ally would not need insulin for those things that go into her mouth.
Ally could go to a party and just nibble, eat, heck, she could stuff herself if she wanted to...and it wouldn't matter.
Ally could run and play without me asking her how she felt.  Without me asking her to stop and check her blood sugar.
Ally could go to school and not have to make a minimum of 3 trips a day to the clinic, missing out on the things the other classmates are doing.
Ally would not have to wear an insulin pump to keep her alive.
Ally would not have to have a site change every 3 days.
And MOMMY could sleep through the night!
A CURE would be a pancreas that worked!


The most annoying thing people say to you about your diabetes:
I'm glad it's easy to control.  She is doing really well with it.  EASY?  Did you say EASY?


The most common misconception about your diabetes:
It is frustrating when people think that Ally can't eat sugar because she has diabetes.  She has Type 1 diabetes.  I think they don't understand that almost everything you eat is either made of sugar or turns into glucose as it is digested.  She can eat sugar!!  She can eat sugar just as much as you would like your child to have sugar as part of their balanced diet.  She just has to have the appropriate amount of insulin to cover it.

And now, the most common response that I get AFTER explaining this...."Ok, so when I'm going to serve a treat with sugar, I'll let you know so that you can send an alternative."


If you could say one thing to your pancreas what would it be?
What WERE you thinking???  And then I would beg, plead, maybe even threaten that if it doesn't start getting its act together I might...(ok, how do you threaten a pancreas??)

I could always go with a reverse psychology approach. 
Dear Wonderful Pancreas,
I could never be worthy of your job.  I have tried for a year and a half now, and I just don't compare to your greatness.  Please, reconsider.  Please come back to work for us!


And now, the MeMe goes to...



Nicole at We CARA Lot!!



Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. LOL, I love the reverse psychology you were trying to use on the Pancreas. Let me know how that works out for you.

    Also, I like the part where you gave your husband credit...you know I think I do the same thing on my blog...I haven't really discussed Dave. I see a "post" coming...thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for tagging me Misty... I like doing meme's :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovin your reverse psychology approach!!! That's funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! I was going to say something about your reverse psychology, and then discovered that Reyna and Lora already did! :) Maybe you're onto something! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hugs and Kisses from...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...