November 2, 2011

Prove It!

Dear "Chiropractor Hurtsville",


You picked the WRONG month to leave your comment on my blog!  You see this is November.  This is Diabetes Awareness Month.  This is the time to educate others about type 1 diabetes and to spread awareness so that one day we may have a real life cure. 

Then again, as I'm typing this, I'm thinking that maybe your comment came at just the right time.  You have proven why it is so important for us to spread awareness...because there are so many - LIKE YOU - who don't have the facts straight! 

I welcome you to follow my blog, especially this Diabetes Awareness Month, so that you too may clear up your misconceptions.

Sincerely,

Misty
Mom of a beautiful girl with Type 1 Diabetes (who did NOTHING to cause this!!)


The comment that I am referring to in the above note ironically was submitted on the first day of Diabetes Awareness month on a very old post of mine Ten Things I Hate About You Diabetes.  Here is the idiotic comment (which I am sharing here to make a point, but NOT publishing on my blog post as a comment).



chiropractor Hurtsville has left a new comment on your post "Ten things I hate about you, Diabetes":

Diabetes is truly a pain to deal with. In this case, the old adage "prevention is the best cure" holds true. I'm glad you came up with this post, because I'm sure it will warn a lot of people before they start having diabetes themselves.

P.S. You got one thing right in this comment - Diabetes is a pain!!!  But I challenge you to PROVE to me that I could have done something to prevent Type 1 Diabetes from happening to my little girl. 

Diabetes Fact #1:  Type 1 Diabetes is an autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system attacks and destroys the insulin producing cells in the pancreas.

Diabetes Fact #2:  No one knows exactly what causes type 1 diabetes. However, it IS known that it is NOT caused by poor diet or lack of exercise. Scientists believe that both genetic and environmental factors are involved.

8 comments:

  1. Wow is all I can say!! As I tell my daughter..."people like this need to be "educated" about diabetes." This keeps me from getting angry with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I hope "Chiropractor Hurtsville" reads this and many more blog posts throughout NDAM and learns at least a little something about T1. My blood boils everytime I read a comment or hear someone saying something that suggests that I could have done something to prevent Charlotte (or that someone else could have prevented themselves or their child) from getting T1...goodness knows that if there was a way we certainly would have done it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You tell him Misty and keep the education coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...ignorance is rampant! So glad that you are setting the record straight for him though. High fives my fellow D-Momma!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for you Misty!!! Keep on advocating :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg, how irritating was that comment. if type 1 WAS a lifestyle disease, someone shouldve told my 8 month old baby to crawl faster up the hallway and find himself some more 'healthy' breastmilk. an ounce of prevention you know. arggghhhh. for crying out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "before people start having diabetes"...GEEZ, he makes it sound like a dinner party or something. Like we're just going to invite the Big D for tea or whatever.

    Not quite.

    Rock it, Mama!

    ReplyDelete

Hugs and Kisses from...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...