November 11, 2011

False Advertising...err...Educating

False Advertising Educating

My sister sent me a text the other day.  She was sitting in a lobby waiting for her son to finish his music lesson.  She couldn't believe the conversation that was going on in an adjacent conference room.  There was a woman addressing a group of people.  My sister's best eavesdropping guestimate was that this woman was holding some sort of training for home health care givers.  And these are quotes that my sister overheard...

"People have diabetes because we've been fed too many fatty, sugary foods over time and it has depleted our insulin stores."
WRONG.
"People are born with type 1 diabetes or develop type 2 later in life." 
 Again.  WRONG...on both accounts.  My sister couldn't believe her ears.  Her next text to me read "I'm about to pop in and correct her!"  But wait, the "training" continues...


"That's why its important to keep those honey buns away from your grandma!"
At this point, I am texting furiously back begging my sister to "pop in AND pop HER!"  I so badly wanted to drive over and do some educating of my own.

I guess, in all fairness, I should say that I don't really blame the people who don't know the facts about type 1 diabetes...or even that there are two kinds.  I really didn't know before Ally's diagnosis.  It's no wonder that there are so many misconceptions about diabetes though, if there are people "training" others who don't even have it straight. 

Photobucket


Diabetes Fact #1:  Type 1 Diabetes is an autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system attacks and destroys the insulin producing cells in the pancreas.

 
 Diabetes Fact #2:  No one knows exactly what causes type 1 diabetes. However, it IS known that it is NOT caused by poor diet or lack of exercise. Scientists believe that both genetic and environmental factors are involved.

 
 Diabetes Fact #3:  Type 1 diabetes, sometimes referred to as Juvenile Diabetes, can strike at ANY age.

 Diabetes Fact #4:  Type 1 diabets can occur suddenly and causes a dependence on insulin for life. Until there is a cure.


 
  Diabetes Fact #5:  To stay alive, people with type 1 diabetes must take multiple insulin injections daily or continually infuse insulin through an insulin pump.

 
  Diabetes Fact #6:  People with type 1 diabetes must test their blood sugar 6 or more times a day by pricking their fingers. Ally's fingers look dirty - but when you look closer you see tons of tiny holes.

 Diabetes Fact #7:  While trying to balance insulin doses with food intake, daily exercise and activities, people with Type 1 Diabetes must still always be prepared for serious hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and hyperglycemic (high blood sugar) reactions which can be life threatening.

 Diabetes Fact #8:  While insulin injections or infusions allow a person with type 1 diabetes to stay alive, insulin does NOT CURE diabetes.

Diabetes Fact #9:  No matter how diligent a person with type 1 diabetes manages their disease, bad things can still happen. Simply injecting insulin and counting carbohydrates does not necessarily prevent complications.

 
  Diabetes Fact #10:   Complications of type 1 diabetes include: kidney failure, nerve damage, blindness, amputations, heart attacks, stroke, and pregnancy complications.

 
 Diabetes Fact #11:  Other factors that affect a person's ability to tightly control their diabetes include: stress, hormonal changes, periods of growth, physical activity, medications, illness, infections, and fatigue.

6 comments:

  1. This is so sad but is true...I am dealing with an ignorant person right now that I really do not know only that we want to school together. Check it out what she is trying to tell me. I did not know that much before diagnosis but you better bet I never opened my mouth and tried to give advice that I had no clue about!!!! Some people amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH...funny, even though I worked in a Pediatric ICU when Joe was diagnosed ... many nurses did not realize that Joe would need insulin injections. They thought he would just have to watch what he ate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, so true and so common. The educating will never end. I even feel like I have to re-educate the same people over and over... the best thing to do is stay calm and keep finding the humor in it. All of you D-Mom bloggers (Misty included) have been role models to me in that! -Thanks from a D-Mom blog-lurker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, people just KILL me! I didnt know a lot about the differences between the two either. In fact when we got to the hospital one of the first questions I asked was, "we can control this with diet, right?" And my dad was a type 1!!! I really should have known better. But one thing is for darn sure... I would have never tried to teach about what I didnt KNOW. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this stuff ticks me off to no end...I have had to learn to tame the wild beast that wants to roar every time I hear a dumb comment as if it is a fact from a well intentioned educated person. UGH!

    ReplyDelete

Hugs and Kisses from...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...