November 4, 2010

Let's Take Control of Diabetes. Now.

Let's Take Control of Diabetes. Now.  Diabetes Education and Prevention is the World Diabetes Day theme for the period 2009-2013. (Visit worlddiabetesday.org for more information on World Diabetes Day.)

Today, nearly 24 million Americans have diabetes, and thousands more are diagnosed each day. During National Diabetes Month, we recommit to educating Americans about the risk factors and warning signs of diabetes, and we honor all those living with or lost to this disease.
(Quote taken from the October 29, 2010 Presidential Proclamation on National Diabetes Month.)

I am excited that the White House is commited to educating Americans about diabetes.  I would like to do my part in taking control of diabetes too. I think that education is a great place to start. When I start thinking about the need for educating others about diabetes...my mind instantly goes to this video of the Kuehl family that I viewed about a month ago. Please take a few minutes to watch their story.

Education is Key!  So, today, I would like to share with you the Warning Signs of Type 1 Diabetes.  I admit that, before February 10, 2009, I was not aware of these warning signs.  I thank God every day that I followed my instincts that day.  I kept wavering back and forth, "maybe she's coming down with the flu or some other virus."  Thank goodness that I went with that gut feeling that something was just not right.

The Warning Signs of Type 1 Diabetes may occur suddenly and include:
•Extreme thirst
•Frequent urination
•Drowsiness or lethargy
•Increased appetite
•Sudden weight loss
•Sudden vision changes
•Sugar in the urine
•Fruity odor on the breath
•Heavy or labored breathing
•Stupor or unconsciousness


Please share theses warning signs with your loved ones!

Read more about Type 1 Diabetes from the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation HERE.


NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim November 2010 as National Diabetes Month. I call upon all Americans, school systems, government agencies, nonprofit organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to join in activities that raise diabetes awareness and help prevent, treat, and manage the disease.

Click on this link to read the Presidential Proclamation in its entirety:  http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2010/10/29/presidential-proclamation-national-diabetes-month


**Late adding this link, but you should also visit Tracy at The Superhero and The Princess and read her  One of the 40... post for more great information about warning signs of Type 1 Diabetes.


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. The Kuehl Story is tragic...I saw it a couple of months ago. Almost too painful to watch, knowing something could have been done if it were caught earlier.

    Great facts, great post, great YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An important and awesomely informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I was not expecting things to end that way for that family. That is so awful.

    I also had no clue of the symptoms before Caleb was diagnosed.

    ReplyDelete

Hugs and Kisses from...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...