March 13, 2012

Gettin' Food Educated

As I mentioned earlier this month, March is National Nutrition Month.
I'm Blogging National Nutrition Month


I know that in order to prepare nutritious meals for my family, I must be food educated!

My sister-in-law recently introduced me to this awesome App on her iPhone: Fooducate.  I thought it was so cool!  I was instantly wishing that I had an iPhone.  I was thrilled when I discovered that there is also an Android App available.  But don't worry if you don't have either of those options...They are also on the web at www.Fooducate.com.

Fooducate allows you to use your phone to scan product barcodes, then get a "report card" for that food item.  It also offers healthier alternatives...LOVE THAT!!


I was going to try to explain this App in detail, but the iTunes App Store description says it all:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fooducate

By Fooducate, Ltd.

Description

Appstore 2011 best of the iPhone Health & Fitness category. Get Fooducated!!!
Scan and choose healthy groceries. Over 200,000 unique UPCs! As featured in USAToday, NYTimes, WSJ, Lifehacker, Gizmodo and on ABC, FOX, NBC and more...

Do you want your family to eat better food?
Are you confused by ingredient lists, nutrition labels, health claims, and marketing hype? Want to lose weight by eating real food?

Get F O O D U C A T E and hurry to the supermarket.

Use your iPhone to:
★ Automatically scan a product barcode, search for products, or browse by categories
★ See product's highlights (both good & bad)
★ Compare products
★ Select healthier alternatives


Features:
✓ Created by dietitians and concerned parents
✓ Uses iphone's camera to effortlessly scan UPC barcodes
✓ Over 200,000 unique products and growing daily
✓ Simplified information helps you make better choices
✓ Works on iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad

"...Fooducate is like having a dietitian on speed dial..."

Fooducate analyzes information found in each product's nutrition panel and ingredient list.

You get to see the stuff manufacturers don't want you to notice, such as
- excessive sugar
- tricky trans fats
- additives and preservatives
- high fructose corn syrup
- controversial food colorings
- and more...

Just pick up a product from the shelf, scan it, and let Fooducate do the rest.

Fooducate is NOT affiliated with food manufacturers, supplement companies, diets, or any sort of magic pill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have spent half the day scanning product codes from my pantry.  I was having so much fun!  I'm almost scared to take it into the grocery store with me...I may not come out for days! 

The truth is that the information that I found was a bit shocking.  Foods that I thought were healthy choices for my family, may indeed not be the best choice! 
Check out Fooducate and let me know what you discover about the foods you eat!

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. That is SO cool! Alas, I do not have a smart phone. My husband does and I can't wait to show this to him... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome! Just got it...looks like a great tool to help me make some better, more informed decisions about what we're stocking our pantry with! Thanks for the tip...going to have to share this one with my sisters :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so cool! I tried to get it at the app store, but I can't find it and the link from their website is not working. Probably an out of USA issue, but I'll try again later...

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. I just tried the link and it worked for me. Hope the issue resolves soon...it is really cool!!

      Delete
  4. That's awesome! I have to check it out! (will I be disappointed if I find out our dependable foods are awful??) : )

    ReplyDelete

Hugs and Kisses from...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...