May 18, 2012

"Its' True, I Should Tell Them"




What They Should Know - DBlog Week - Day 5

Today let’s borrow a topic from a #dsma chat held last September. The tweet asked “What is one thing you would tell someone that doesn’t have diabetes about living with diabetes?”. Let’s do a little advocating and post what we wish people knew about diabetes. Have more than one thing you wish people knew? Go ahead and tell us everything.

Click for the What They Should Know- Friday 5/18 Link List.


"One thing" I would tell someone about living with diabetes?  Uh Oh.

There are so many different ways to go with this post.  There are things I want people to understand about Type 1 Diabetes, so they may be more compassionate towards Ally regarding the day in and day out struggles of diabetes.  She handles A LOT every single day whether she looks like it or not. 

There are things that I want people to know so they don't make Ally feel bad about her diabetes...She did nothing to cause it.  No amount of candy bars can cause type 1 diabetes!

There are things that I want every parent, grandparent, pediatrician, and child caregiver to recognize as possible signs of type 1 diabetes, so that not one child ever goes undiagnosed again.

And then there is the one thing that Ally wants people without diabetes to know..."Diabetes stinks!" 


"It's true, I really should tell them, Mom.  Some kids say, 'you're lucky'...and I look at them like 'Are you crazy?'  It's annoying.  People are always asking about my pump and my sites.  It's really annoying...so, yeah, I'd tell them diabetes stinks - they should know that."

(And I thought diabetes stunk because of all the shots, finger pricks, carb counting, highs and lows, etc.)

Thanks again to Karen at Bitter~Sweet for organizing this Diabetes Blog Week.  I find it interesting, not only reading other people's blogs and their take on these topics, but also I'm amazed that I look at a topic with one plan in mind and then I learn something else about it along the way.  This topic gave Ally and I yet another opportunity for communicating about how she feels about diabetes.  I love it when she can "vent" her feelings about D.  So, thank you Karen, for that too!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugs and Kisses from...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...