March 2, 2011

Reflecting On Helpful Words

A couple of weeks ago, I had Sarah from I Don't Have Diabetes...I've Got Tha Suga! as a guest blogger.  After reading several PWD blogs, I was motivated to change perspective for a bit and really try to understand what might be going on inside Ally's head.  Sarah wrote a wonderful post for me, directed at Ally and other young people with Type 1 Diabetes.  Thank you again, Sarah! 

I would like to take this opportunity to share my reactions to her post. 

In Diabetes Doesn't Define Who You Are, one of Sarah's lines really stuck with me...

"I know it can be hard to live with diabetes, but just know from me and all the other diabetics that have grown up, it doesn’t define who you are." 
I'd say that we are "relatively" new at the diabetes thing.  Yes, it's been 2 years and we are in a groove with the management of it, but I feel like we still have so much to learn, so much living to do with diabetes.  At this point diabetes defines a lot for Ally and also a lot for our household, for our family.  But I am so in love with Sarah's words!  (Hope that doesn't sound too creepy!)  I love that she reminded Ally, and us, her parents, that everything doesn't have to be about diabetes.  Diabetes doesn't take a break.  We can't pretend not to think about it for a day.  BUT, we sure can let her be a kid and encourage her to do the things that she wants to do and be the person that she wants to be, regardless of diabetes.

There was another part of Sarah's post that opened my eyes.  She talked about being bullied.  At first I thought, "No Way!  How does bullying fit in?"  I honestly had not considered the being picked on aspect of having diabetes.  I know that Ally complains because kids often ask her "What's that?" when they see her pump or her pump site.  She hates it when they ask her if her pump is a phone or video game.  But I really did not consider this bullying...just kids not being aware.  However, I now can see how this could turn into a bullying situation; or at the least one that if it continues could make Ally feel badly about herself.  I loved Sarah's suggestion to Ally and other young T1s to ask a parent or teacher to help them tell classmates so they understand.  It is important for them not to hold this inside.  Education is key.  I have gone into her classroom at the beginning of each school year to talk with the kids about type 1 diabetes.  However, maybe we need to do more educating??

Ally had some things to say after hearing Sarah's words too.  I am so grateful that this brought up an opportunity for dialogue between Ally and I.  These were her words:

" I think it's easier when you get older to take care of yourself.  At least I hope it is.  It's sort of hard for me to take care of myself.  I don't think I could just go off and live alone right now."
"You know, a lot of kids are picking on me.  They say things like I'm telling you brought a phone to school! I hate telling them all the time that it's not my phone - IT'S MY PUMP!"
"Some things feel impossible for me to do.  Like when I'm high or low it's kind of hard for me to finish my test because I have to go to the nurse and check my sugar."
Amazing what goes through her head...and I had no idea!

Really I could pick apart the entire post and tell you how much I loved every line of it.  If you have not had a chance to read it yet, please take a minute and check it out here.

Sarah, you have no idea how much your words touched me (and Ally too!).  They really spoke to me and have helped me to reflect on "our diabetic family" (because she may be the one with diabetes, but we are in this together!).  I am so grateful to you for giving us this gift.


Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. I often wonder what is going on in Sugar Boy's head, too. With him as young as he is, its almost impossible to tell.

    I look foward to being able to have those sorts of talks with him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an amazing way to initiate some dialogue with our young type 1's. That post of Sarah's was amazing...I liked how you joined PWDs with us type 3's and with Ally...it was so incredibly insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bekah is so quiet especially about D, this might be a great way to get her to open up and talk about it a little. I too really like how you joined T3s with PWDs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you posted about this. Over the past few weeks we'd moved Charlotte's pump sites to her arm and they've been more visible and so a little girl (innocently) asked her about it...she got embarrased and upset and told me about it later that night. After reading the other post again I think I'm going to sit down with Charlotte tomorrow and read it with her and open the dialogue with her a little more...this is something I've been meaning to do, but wasn't sure about the best way to approach it...I think this may be it. Thank you and thanks to Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWesome post from both you and Sarah.

    We too have dealth with bullying, so glad you discussed it!

    Awareness awareness awareness! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am embarrased to admit that I am scared to talk to Justin about a lot of these things. Deep down... I don't think I want to hear the answers. I know that sounds bad and as a mom... I am ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, you are such a good mother!!!

    Second, I reacted the same. I never really thought of that as bullying before. But, when you think about it, especially from a child's perspective, it can be considered as such.

    ReplyDelete

Hugs and Kisses from...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...