October 22, 2013

In Loving Memory of Shamae and Her Crazy, Happy Life!

This is an impossible post for me to write.  It feels impossible because I feel like I'm writing something that just can't be real.

Shamae passed away in her sleep.  I read those words on Sunday and have been trying to come to terms with it since.

Shamae and I first met online in early 2010 through a group of Dmoms.  It had been just over a year since Ally's diagnosis with Type 1 Diabetes.  I had spent the first year after diagnosis just getting by.  Shamae reached out to me.  She encouraged me to start a blog of my own.  She gave me courage and hope...in 2010 and ever since!

We continued to get to know each other through reading each other's blogs, written mostly about our families living with diabetes.  We connected because our daughters with type 1 diabetes were the same age.  Syd and Ally became pen pals and it changed the way that Ally looked at diabetes.  She felt less alone.  Funny, because that's exactly what my friendship with Shamae did for me.  I felt less alone.

 My very first blog post Celebrate You, was dedicated to Shamae.  She played a major role in moving me from the overwhelmingness of that first year to learning to live again, just in a different way.

I am inserting an excerpt from that first blog post because I was speaking specifically about Shamae.

 I want to celebrate that so many of you have reached out to me, welcoming me into this group of people who understand what our life is like. I want to celebrate that some of you forced me, ok...encouraged me to write this blog. I think it will help.

In fact, it already has. You see, I was only introduced to you and your blogs a couple of weeks ago. Once I started, I couldn't stop reading them. As I read some of them, I felt like you were writing the thoughts right out of my head. Others were compelling, some were shocking! I have smiled, laughed and cried at your blogs.

Ally noticed that I couldn't pry myself away from the computer and she asked me what I was reading. I explained that I was reading about other families who have children with Type 1 Diabetes. She was interested. "Mommy, can I read it too?" So I let her write a note to a couple of girls her age. She received a note back from both of them and is ecstatic! (Thank you ladies!) She wants to know all about them. She made me print their notes and she ran to find an old binder that she could keep them in. They were so special to her that she would not let me punch holes in them, so we had to find page protectors! She is scheduled to be Star of the Week in her 1st grade class in a week or so. She has been waiting for her turn for a long time and has about 20 "special" things that she wants to take in to share. This afternoon she told me that her MOST special thing is now her binder with her "new friends" in it and she can't wait to take it in to share with her class. :)

So, again, let me CELEBRATE you! Connecting with others who understand is already making a difference for me...and even better, for Ally!!

Shamae, thank you for sharing your life with us.  You were an inspiration in many ways.  I admire the way you lived your crazy, happy life.  I admire your passion for being a mother and a wife.  I remember that you once wrote "Being a mom is so fulfilling."  I admire your dedication to educating others about Type 1 Diabetes...your dedication to finding a cure...your dedication to making a better outcome for Syd and all those with Type 1 D.  I will always cherish the "Why We Do It" video that you made because I know how much love you put into making that.  (Video has a permanent home on the bottom of my blog!)  Thank you for being supportive to me and lifting me up when I needed it most.  You will always have a special place in my heart.      

A friend of mine saw my post on facebook and said, "You know I can't help but believe that God has a bigger plan for Shamae.  What if she can do more on the other side?"  I believe that Shamae has earned her right to fly among the angels...because to me she was an angel on earth.  I bet she even asked to have a blue circle on her angel wings :)


Shamae made an impact on so many lives.  I believe she will continue to do that.  I miss her presence here on earth already, but I will never forget her!

Join me today in once again, Celebrating Shamae and her Crazy, Happy Life!




Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. What an impact she made on all of us and what a legacy she leaves behind! Beautiful post Misty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! You gave me chills when I read, "I bet she even asked to have a blue circle on her angel wings." I bet she did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very touching post! Im happy to know that Shamae pulled you in, like she did me. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete

Hugs and Kisses from...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...